The ICED 15 programme committee will organize sessions that cover substantial, original and previously unpublished research on the traditional topics of ICED conferences:
- Innovation engineering;
- Trans-disciplinary processes;
- Industrial design.
Design Research Applications and Case Studies
- Design practice;
- Transfer of design research methods into industry;
- Best practice;
- Industry case studies;
- Applications to complex engineered systems;
- Applications of design research across industry domains.
Design theory and research methodology
- Design theories and approaches;
- Design research methodologies and methods;
- Experiments in design;
- Evaluation of theories,
- Approaches and methods.
Design organisation and management
- Organisational understanding;
- Design and optimisation of organisational processes;
- Design of workspaces to manage product development;
- Market and business implications, management of innovation and complexity;
- Risk assessment and management;
- Social responsibility and ethics of designing.
Products, services and systems design
- Product and system modelling;
- Structural complexity;
- Product architectures / platform design / modularisation / product family design;
- Product-service systems (PSS);
- Design and service engineering;
- Systems engineering and design.
Design methods and tools
- Design tactics and methods;
- Requirements management;
- User orientation, user integration;
- Evaluation and decision making;
- Modelling and simulation methods;
- Virtual product development;
- Usage and integration of supportive technologies,
- Bio-inspired design.
Design for X, design to X
- Design for social sustainability;
- DtX (to properties) – cost, time, quality, flexibility, etc.;
- DfX (for lifecycle) – manufacturing, assembly, testing, use, recycling etc.;
- Design for new technologies (e.g. design for additive manufacturing).
Design information and knowledge
- Knowledge-intensive design;
- Design knowledge and collaboration;
- Representation of design information and knowledge;
- Information and knowledge management.
Human behaviour in design
- Designers’ thinking, motivations and skills;
- Creativity and innovative thinking;
- Teamwork in design;
- Collaborative and participatory design;
- Communication in design;
- Design for emotion and experience;
- Design cognition.
- Teaching examples and experiments;
- Education experiences,
- Plans and visions;
- Training in design (academic and industrial).
The ICED 15 program committee will organize sessions that cover substantial, original and previously unpublished research on the traditional topics of ICED conferences… To read more click on the title.
Papers will be classified according to the usual streams that have been adopted in previous ICED conferences. The conference programme and calendar, however, will also be set up in relation to the conference themes, with the aim of having each of the days of the conference being associated to one of the three subthemes:
The Conference will include a special event dedicated to young researchers, the General Meeting of the Design Society, numerous seminars, and therefore it is a unique meeting venue for everyone interested in design and its impact on industry and society.
By tradition, tutorial sessions at ICED conference aim to bring together users and experts in interactive sessions elaborating specific topics. Tutorials will be organised to promote integration of different views, approaches and methods. Tutorial coordinators could invite selected presentations and demonstrations in order to stimulate the debate as well as to propose any format of delivery that inspires interaction. ICED15 welcomes every participant to the Special Event – Tutorial-Style Workshops.
The first day of the conference, July 27th, 2015, will be dedicated to workshops organised by the Special Interest Groups of the Design Society and by other conference delegates… To read more click on the title.
- What is design for you?
- What is your vision for the future of design?
- What is your coolest project (past / current / future dream project) that illustrates this vision?
- How will your vision contribute to the future of design research and/or practice?
- Set new or challenge established views of design within the community!
- Share opinions and exchange ideas on vital design community topics!
- Meet international young people working in design research and practice!
All ICED15 regular registrants are invited!
Who is interested, please send an email to with your name, affiliation and contact information.
PhD students’ forum
The forum will be a unique opportunity for young researchers and PhD students to discuss their research questions and ideas with experienced researchers, practitioners and R&D managers in order to facilitate their research efforts. The series of grouped presentations will be used to raise the questions and stimulate debate in a round table style.
The Design Society and the Organizing Committee of ICED15 invite young design researchers and designers, including design students, to participate in this discussion on the future of design and to join… To read more click on the title.